Outside of urban areas (“geschlossener Ortschaften”) it is allowed to use both light and sound signals (“Schallzeichen” also known as “Hupe” in German) on your car to express your intention to pass the car in front. At least in Germany. This is new to me (but I should have known it).

You can look at &5 of the StVO to verify this.